Use AWS Redshift as Data Source for Apache Kylin

Use AWS Redshift as Data Source for Apache Kylin

bsmithab
Hi

We are looking at option of Using Redshift as data source to create OLAP in Apache Kylin. Is this possible? if Yes Can we install the apache Kylin on the Redshift cluster server or Is it mandatory that we need to have hadoop structure as base on which Apache Kyling can be installed. If we have to use Redshift as data source what is the approach we need to take. Please guide

Re: Use AWS Redshift as Data Source for Apache Kylin

Luke Han
Administrator
Hi there,
      Today, Kylin only supports ready data from Hive or Kafka.
It doable if you could find a way to expose your data through
Hive interface.
       Or, you could customize a little bit to read data from Redshift.

       And, one idea we have (actually there are many other users are doing
today)
is to setup EMR + Kylin, then upload data from Redshift or other data
source to
EMR/S3, then Kylin could easily to consume through Hive.

      BTW, why you are trying to read data from Redshift and build cube in
Kylin?
What's challenge you are facing now?

      Thanks.
Luke

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

bsmithab
Can we use ODBC/JDBC connection to directly pull data from Redshift Data warehouse?

Re: Use AWS Redshift as Data Source for Apache Kylin

Luke Han
Administrator
JDBC is good idea which actually already have some investment here.
Please stay tuned for the progress.

Thanks.

Best Regards!

Luke Han